CAA won’t be implemented, poor will receive cash if Congress elected to power in Assam: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh
In a video message, Dr Manmohan Singh, who represented Assam five times in the Rajya Sabha, has appealed to people of Assam to vote for Mahajot – the alliance of Congress-led parties in the state
Former Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, who represented Assam five times in the Rajya Sabha, has appealed to the people of Assam to vote for Mahajot – the alliance of Congress-led parties in the state.
In a video message, Dr Singh said that if Congress is voted to power, the CAA will not be implemented in the state and the poor will receive cash in hand. He gave five guarantees to the people of Assam:
1. If elected to power, the Assam Congress will not implement the Citizenship Amendment Act. Also, it will do its utmost to repeal the CAA.
2. 5 lakhs unemployed youth will be provided jobs in the public sector and 25 lakhs unemployed youth will be provided jobs in the private sector.
3. The daily wage of tea plantation workers will be increased to Rs 365. These workers will also receive other social security benefits.
4. Every household will receive up to 200 units of free electricity.
5. Under the ‘Grihani Samman’ scheme, every housewife will receive an allowance of Rs 2,000 per month
Attacking the Modi government for creating “an atmosphere of tension and of fear”, Dr Singh, who represented Assam for 28 years said: “Ill-conceived ‘Note-Bandi’ and badly-implemented GST have weakened the economy. Lakhs of people and women have lost their livelihoods. The youth are desperate for decent jobs. Rise in the prices of petrol, diesel and cooking gas is making life difficult for the ‘Aam Aadmi’. The poor are becoming poorer. And COVID-19 is making matters much worse.”
Saying that the Congress is committed to protect the unique language, culture, and history of Assam, Singh appealed to the people, “You must vote for a government that upholds the Constitution of India and the principles of democracy. You must vote for a government that will care for every citizen, for every community. You must vote for a government that will ensure inclusive growth. You must vote for a government that will put Assam once again on the path of peace and development”.