Anil Kapoor birthday special: 10 funniest roles of the versatile actor
Anil Kapoor has been comfortable in typical Hindi masala film roles and offbeat ones too. He has succeeded as an action hero, romantic hero and a comic one too. Here’s a list of his hit comic roles
1. Mr India: He was invisible on screen most of the time. But when he did show up it was to either squabble with Sridevi, spar with Amrish Puri or play with the adopted kids. A full-on fun role where Kapoor played the role he was born to play. The child-man.
2. Biwi No 1: In an out-and-out Salman starrer where he played a bigamist, Anil Kapoor sportingly took on the role of a loud meddlesome Punjabi family man who keeps showing up at the most inopportune moments. The role was originally done by Kamal Haasan whose daughter Shruti co-starred with Anil in Welcome Back.
3. Andar Baahar: Jackie Shroff brought out the prankster in Anil Kapoor. If you don’t believe me, watch Anil as a petty criminal hitching up with serious cop Jackie to catch a big criminal. It was ripped off from 48 Hours.
4. Ram Lakhan: 1, 2 Ka 4, 4,2 ka 1. Again the incurable rogue. Anil was a laugh riot in the film’s best-known song.
5. Chameli Ki Shaadi: Scrawny and hairy Anil Kapoor wants to be a wrestler in this Basu Chatterjee satire.
6. Gharwali Baharwali: Balancing between two wives Raveena and Rambha, Anil here did what Salman tried in Biwi No.1 with much better comic consequences.
7. Jhooth Bole Kauva Kaate: In Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s final film Anil did everything that Amol Palekar did in Gol Maal. Anilsequences with Amrish Puri brimmed over with humour.
8. Badhaai Ho Badhaai: Anil Kapoor’s only role with prosthetics. He played a funny fat man with elan.
9. No Entry: Anees Bazmi’s sex comedy featured Anil Kpaoor as a married man with a roving eye. Funny as hell.
10. Welcome….Back : Anil Kapoor’s Majnu Bhai has terrific comic moments with Nana Patekar. This is a comedy itching for an encore.