Saif Ali Khan: Some unknown facts
Subhash K Jha shares some unknown facts about the actor on his birthday
1. Saif was fired from his first film Bekhudi by director Rahul Rawail. It was meant to be the launch film for both Saif and Kajol. But Saif got his very first shot wrong. Rawail, not known to take any nonsense from his actors, hired Kamal Sadanah instead of Saif. Kamal could make no headway in his career. Lucky escape for Saif?
2. Saif’s role in Dil Chahta Hai was first offered to Hrithik Roshan. Hrithik,a close friend of director Farhan Akhtar said no to the role of the indecisive Sameer. The role and film were a turning point in Saif’s career.
3. For a long time Saif was seen as ideal for strong second leads, like Main Khiladi Tu Anari, Kal Ho Na Ho, Tashan. Like Saif’s mother Sharmila Tagore’s favourite co-star Shashi Kapoor. Saif in fact bears more than a passing resemblance to Shashi Kapoor. When I once asked him about the comparisons he replied, ‘Why not? He is supposed to be very handsome, and talented, isn’t he?’ Saif’s first big hit as solo hero was Kunal Kohli’s Hum Tum.
4. Saif fell in love with Kareena during the shooting of Tashan in 2008 while shooting in Ladakh. Kareena planned to inform Shahid Kapoor (her boyfriend at that time) about the development after her return to Mumbai. But the news of Kareena’s closeness to Saif had already reached Shahid from the location.
5. Saif married Kareena in October 2012. About his previous marriage to Amrita Singh, Saif had said to me in an interview, “My leaving Amrita was not overnight. It was on the cards for a long time, and another woman had nothing to do with it. When it (the separation) happened, it was like a very painful amputation. But it was also the best thing to do, given the circumstances. I don't know what the future holds for us. But I feel whole and healthy." Saif had ruled out remarriage. "I've gone through it once. "I don't know why these hard knocks are served up to me. Maybe I deserve to be treated this way. But the stress is taking its toll on me".