Delhi Govt closes schools, issues advisory on likely storm on May 8, Tuesday
The Delhi Government has closed schools and issued an advisory “Thunderstorms/ Dust storms/ Squall Do’s and Don’ts” on preparedness, before and after a possible thunderstorm on Tuesday, May 8
Thunderstorm with light rain and strong winds is expected in the National Capital Region (NCR), including Jind, Rohtak and Bhiwani, the weather office warned late Monday evening.
"Thunderstorms with light rain and strong winds would occur over NCR, including Hisar, Jind, Rohtak, Bhiwani and Narnaul, during the next two hours," the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said in the release.
Earlier, the Haryana government closed schools for two days—Monday and Tuesday—as a preventive measure following the thunderstorm warning.
The Delhi government on Monday said that in view of the Met office warning for various parts of India, including the national capital, all city schools would remain closed in the afternoon shift on Tuesday.
The Delhi Government also issued the following advisory “Thunderstorms/ Dust storms/ Squall Do’s and Don’ts” on preparedness, before and after a possible thunderstorm for May 8, reported ANI News. The state government also issued an advisory on lightning.
Following is the full text of the advisory:
Preparedness/before Thunderstorms/ Dust storms/ Squall
- Prepare an emergency kit with essential items for safety and survival
- Secure your house; carry out repairs; don;t leave sharo objects loose
- Secure outside objects that could blow away and cause damage
- Remove rotting trees/broken branches that could fall and cause injury or damage
- Listen to radio, watch TV or read newspapers for weather updates and warnings
During Thunderstorms/ Dust storms/ Squall
- Keep a watch on local weather updates and warnings
- Try to stay indoors; stay off verandas
- Unplug all electrical equipment. Don’t use corded telephones
- Don't touch plumbing and metal pipes. Do not use running water
- Stay away from structures with tin roofs/metal sheeting
- Don’t take shelter near/under trees
- Stay put if you are inside a car/bus/covered vehicle
- Don’t use metallic objects; stay away from power/telephone lines
- Get out of water — pools, lakes, small boats on water bodies and take safe shelter immediately
After Thunderstorms/ Dust storms/ Squall
- Stay away from storm-damaged areas
- Listen to local radio/TV stations for updated information or instructions on weather and traffic updates
- Help children, women, elderly and differently-abled
- Stay away from fallen trees/ power lines and report them to nearest tehsil/district HQ immediately.