Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday urged people to switch off lights of their homes at 9 pm for nine minutes on April 5 and light up lamps, candles, mobile flashlights to display the nation's collective spirit to defeat coronavirus.
In a video message, the prime minister said people should maintain social distancing and not form groups while lighting up lamps. He said the people should stay indoors.
He also said that people displayed unprecedented discipline and sense of service during the nationwide coronavirus lockdown that started on March 24 for a period of 21 days.
Here are 10 highlights of PM's message :
1. Thanks Indians for their discipline and solidarity. Reminds them that all other countries followed India ( not true) in lockdown and in clapping their appreciation for caregivers.
2. People must be thinking what they can do alone. But sometime reflection is necessary.
3. It is important for us sometime to think not just or ourselves but of the Janata Janardan- the ordinary people in whom God resides.
4. Such collective reflection gives us the confidence, energy and resolve to fight the crisis.
5. The poor are the worst hit in this crisis. We must reassure them that they are not alone.
6. Therefore this Sunday. all Indians must display their combined strength and resolve to unitedly fight the Corona crisis.
7. I therefore appeal to you to spare 9 minutes of your time on Sunday April 9.
8. On Sunday at 9 pm, for 9 minutes people must switch off all light , go to their balconies and light candles, lamps, torches or mobile flashlights.
9. The light will drive away the darkness. It will show that nobody is left alone.
10. This is the ultimate weapon, the Ram Baan, to kill coronavirus.