The Supreme Court will pronounce an order at 2 p.m. on Thursday on the transfer of four cases connected to the Unnao rape victim and her family.
The court has asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to complete in seven days the investigation into the truck-car accident that has left the rape victim battling for life.
The court will also decide on the compensation and protection for the victim and her family.
The court hauled up the Registry for the delay in producing a letter the victim wrote to the court seeking protection.
Earlier on Thursday, Supreme Court had made clear it will transfer the rape case involving BJP legislator Kuldeep Singh Sengar out of Unnao district in Uttar Pradesh and summoned a "responsible" CBI officer before it by 12 noon to provide details of the probe conducted so far in the sensational matter.
The top court also refused a plea of Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the CBI that the matter be adjourned to 10:30 am on Friday, as the officers probing the Unnao cases were out of Delhi.
Solicitor General T Mehta informed CJI that he spoke with CBI director officers investigating the case are in Lucknow and it wouldn’t be possible for them to reach Delhi by 12 PM.
SC refused the plea, saying that the CBI chief can gather case details on telephone and appraise the court today itself
The bench directed Mehta to ensure the presence of a responsible officer at 12 noon before it to give details of the probe conducted so far in the rape and the subsequent accident case.
"We are going to transfer all the cases. We will pass the order to this effect," said the bench, comprising Justices Deepak Gupta and Aniruddha Bose.
It was taken up as the first item by the top court, which said as both the matters have been transferred to the CBI, it would pass orders in the case later in the day after knowing the details from a responsible CBI officer.
On Wednesday, the court had taken cognizance of the rape victim's letter to the CJI and had sought a report from its secretary general why it had not been brought to the court's notice since July 17.