Why was demonetisation scam not probed, why did chowkidar remain asleep, asks Congress
The absence of an investigation suggests that those involved in this loot are being protected, said Kapil Sibal in a press conference in Delhi
Describing demonetisation as the “biggest scam” of the country, the Congress launched a scathing attack on PM Modi and said that the absence of an investigation in the scam suggests that those involved in this loot are being protected.
Addressing a press conference on Wednesday, senior Congress leader and former Union Minister Kapil Sibal accused Modi of “sleeping” and not ordering probe despite “evidence about the demonetisation loot.”
“Demonetisation may have helped criminals to collect wealth by looting the treasury and the poor,” said Sibal, adding that the official machinery was actively participating in this huge scam.
“Why was the chowkidar asleep when all this happened? The absence of an investigation suggests that those involved in this loot are being protected. Those who have collaborated with corruption cannot pretend to be clean,” asked Sibal.
Referring to his previous press conferences, Sibal said that allegations about involvement of the government machinery in demonetisation scams appear true as the Cabinet Secretariat issued a statement soon after his last conference.
Saying that the person shown in the video was Rahul Ratharekar – a constable-level employee, the Cabinet Secretary stated, “Ratharekar was dismissed in June 2017 on suspicion of his role in exchange of old currency notes, post demonetisation”.
Sibal has exposed the alleged role of Rahul Ratharekar and proved his identity through his identity card. The video featuring Ratharekar was also shown during the conference.
Sibal said this statement “clearly demonstrates” that the expose made by the party on the scam on March 26 and April 9 were genuine and the events seen in the video reflected the manner in which these exchanges took place.
“The involvement of government functionaries, bankers and state authorities clearly demonstrate a conspiracy to loot the treasury in a manner never seen before...Who in the chain was responsible for this loot? It requires a thorough investigation which this government has failed to conduct despite knowledge of this scam,” Sibal said.
“It is a matter of shame that despite the expose in which the opposition parties participated, no steps have been taken by the government to investigate these matters,” Sibal alleged.
He asked the BJP why no FIR had been lodged and no investigations started to “find the identity of those involved in the exchange of currency notes, post demonetisation in Gujarat.”
He also asked why Ratharekar was not arrested and investigated at the time when he was dismissed from service.