Yashwant Sinha wins kudos for letter asking BJP MPs to “speak up”
In an open letter, BJP leader Yashwant Sinha pointed out the failures of the Modi government and told BJP members, “If you remain silent now you will do a great disservice to the country”
In an open letter to BJP members of the parliament first published in The Indian Express, former Union Finance Minister and Bharatiya Janata Party stalwart Yashwant Sinha called upon party members to stand up against the government and it’s failures.
Yashwant Sinha made the following points in his letter:
- The government has now completed nearly four years in office, presented five budgets and used up all the opportunity available to it to show results. At the end of it, however, we seem to have lost our way and the confidence of the voters.
- Corruption has raised its ugly head again and banking scams are tumbling out of the closet one after another. The scamsters also manage to run away from the country somehow, as the government watches helplessly.
- Rapes have become the order of the day and instead of acting strictly against the rapists we have become their apologists. In many cases, our own people are involved in these heinous crimes.
- The worst is that the Scheduled Castes and Tribes, the weaker sections of our society, have been exposed to atrocities and inequities as never before and the guarantees given to them in the Constitution stand threatened.
- The sum total of our foreign policy seems to consist of frequent foreign visits by the prime minister and his hugging foreign dignitaries, whether they like it or not. It is completely devoid of substance and has failed miserably even in our immediate neighbourhood, where China is trampling all over our interests.
- The smartly executed surgical strike by our brave jawans against Pakistan has been wasted and Pakistan continues to export terror to India unabated as we watch helplessly.
- Internal democracy in the party stands completely destroyed. Friends tell me that even in parliamentary party meetings, MPs do not get an opportunity, as in the past, to air their views. In the other party meetings, also, the communication is always one-way. The prime minister has no time for you. The party headquarter has become a corporate office where it is impossible to meet the CEO.
- Today, it appears as if winning elections by controlling the means of communication, specially the media and social media, is the sole purpose of our party and even that is threatened seriously now. The chances of your winning the election, even if you get the ticket are fairly remote. In the last Lok Sabha election the BJP had secured only 31% votes; 69% was polled against it. So, if the opposition unites, you will be nowhere.
- The most important threat that has emerged over the last four years, however, is to our democracy. Institutions of democracy have been demeaned and denigrated. Parliament has been reduced to the level of a joke.
Telling the party members that “future generation will not forgive” them if they would not speak up now, Sinha concluded, “the situation demands that you speak up in the national interest. I am glad to note that at least five Scheduled Caste MPs of the party have expressed their disenchantment with the government for not delivering on the promises made to the community. I am urging you to also express your opinion frankly before the bosses on all issues confronting us. If you remain silent now you will do a great disservice to the country,” Sinha added.