‘Dead’ baby given to parents in a bag by hospital, found alive before burial

Demanding strict action against the accused doctor, the agitated baby’s kin protested inside Delhi’s Shalimar Bagh Max Hospital. The family has lodged a complaint with the Delhi police

Photo courtesy: social media
Photo courtesy: social media

NH Web Desk

In yet another incident of medical negligence, one of the newborn twins, who were declared dead by Delhi's Shalimar Bagh Max Hospital, was on Friday found alive just before cremation.

The twins were handed over to the family in plastic bags. However, the parents realised that one of the twins, wrongly declared dead, showed movements in the bag just before burial. The parents immediately rushed to a nearby hospital where they were informed that one of the infants was alive.

According to the twins' grandfather Pravin Malik, the family rushed to a nearby hospital in the bustling Kashmere Gate area and were told that their baby boy was alive. Members of the family and their relatives protested at the Max hospital today, demanding action against it, NDTV reported. “The surviving twin, the parents were told, needed critical medical care and had to be kept in the nursery for some months. The family paid an instalment and was reportedly debating its options of keeping the baby on ventilator support at a huge cost, when the parents were told that their second baby was also dead.”

In a statement, the hospital said the “22-week premature baby” was handed over without any sign of life and the accused doctor has been sent on leave. “We are shaken and concerned at this rare incident. We have initiated a detailed enquiry, pending which, the concerned doctor has been asked to proceed on leave immediately. We are in constant touch with the parents and are providing all the needed support," the statement said.

Demanding strict action against hospital administration, the baby’s kin protested inside the hospital. The family has lodged a complaint with the police.

Meanwhile, Delhi government has ordered an inquiry into the case. “Strict action would be taken against the doctor if found guilty,” CM Arvind Kejriwal said.

Health Minister Satyendra Jain has asked Health Department to conduct inquiry and submit the report.

“It's a very shocking incident and a height of negligence. We have started an inquiry and investigation into the case. Also, consulting legal experts, the Delhi Medical Council and taking details of all circumstances. We will analyse the them and initiate action,” Deependra Pathak, spokesperson of the Delhi police, told ANI.

Union health minister JP Nadda said he spoke to the health secretary in connection with the issue.

This incident came days after another private hospital, Fortis, in Gurugram was accused of charging  the family of a seven-year-old dengue patient, who later died, almost Rs 18 lakh for 15 days in the ICU.

Follow us on: Facebook, Twitter, Google News, Instagram 

Join our official telegram channel (@nationalherald) and stay updated with the latest headlines