Not just banks, Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi looted people too, says Congress
Congress leader Shaktisinh Gohil on Friday alleged that Gitanjali Gems Ltd promoter Mehul Choksi along with Nirav Modi duped citizens of more than ₹5,000 crore through unethical business practises
Congress leader Shaktisinh Gohil on Friday alleged that Gitanjali Gems Ltd promoter Mehul Choksi along with diamond jeweller Nirav Modi not only defrauded Indian banks of ₹21,306 crore, but also duped citizens of more than ₹5,000 crore through unethical business practises.
Addressing a press conference in Delhi, Gohil alleged that Gitanjali Gems Limited, which is owned by Mehul Choksi, floated three jewellery investment schemes including Shagun, Swarna Mangal Labh (SML) and Swarna Mangal Kalash to dupe common people. “Modus operandi of the scheme was that an ordinary person, seeking to buy jewellery as also to earn a return on investment, was required to pay 11 instalments of a specified amount. In return, Gitanjali group offered to pay the 12th instalment as free. Tenure of these instalments could be 12 months, 24 months or 36 months. At the end of the tenure, the amount so accumulated could be redeemed for jewellery with additional bonus of up to 50%,” Gohil said, describing the scheme as "Jan Dhan Loot Yojna."
"In most of the cases, neither was the instalment paid nor the jewellery given or amount returned. Consequently, a large number of police complaints were filed in Gujarat by way of affidavits in September 2015," he said, and released four such affidavits on the occasion.
Several police complaints were filed against Gitanjali Group for the alleged fraud on October 10, 2017 but no action was taken, he alleged. “Shockingly, instead of registering an FIR and arresting Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi and others, Bhavnagar Police kept the matter pending and finally referred it [to the CID] by recording that it should be investigated by CID Crime Gandhinagar.”
“Gujarat Police waited till January 25, 2018 to swing into action, by when both Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi had run away from the country along with their families,” he alleged.
Not only in Gujarat but across the country, there were thousands of such cases where there was complete inaction by police against Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi, alleged Gohil.
Gohil wondered whether India's biggest bank loot and an additional theft of ₹5,000 crore of citizens’ money took place because Modi and Choksi enjoyed clout with senior BJP leaders.
Citing several documents, Gohil further stated that in spite of complaints against the Gitanjali Group, the Vijay Rupani government of Gujarat projected Gitanjali Group as a "collaborator" for the Vibrant Gujarat summit 2017, which was held between January 10 to 13, 2017.
Gohil further raised the following questions during the media conference:
- Why is BJP mum on the connections of Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi with BJP leaders?
- Was Mehul Choksi not invited in the small gathering when Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Gold Monetisation Scheme in the year 2015?
- Did Prime Minister not refer to Mehul Choksi with great affection in his speech, specially addressing him as ‘humare Mehul Bhai’?
- Was Nirav Modi not part of the gathering of Indian CEOs photographed with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Davos, Switzerland on January 23, 2018 (after his escape from India) and was this photograph not tweeted by PMO, PIB and MEA Twitter handles?
- Why is Prime Minister Narendra Modi fighting shy of admitting his connection to Mehul Choksi and Nirav Modi?
- Is it correct that Aparna Chaudasama (sister-in-law of BJP spokesperson and Maharashtra BJP leader Shaina NC) was head of sales with Nirav Modi?
- Is it correct that Mehul Choksi and Gitanjali Group had showcased creations by Shaina NC in August, 2015? Is it correct that this show was presided over by Amruta Fadnavis, wife of Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and Anar Patel, daughter of the then Chief Minister of Gujarat Anandiben Patel, was also present as a guest of honour in the function?
- Is it correct that Mehul Choksi had given huge advertisements in the newspapers regarding the function, showcasing the sponsored event by Gitanjali Group along with pictures of the persons named above to project his proximity?
Read full coverage of the Nirav Modi-PNB scam on National Herald
PNB fraud: Can’t depose, says Nirav Modi; ED seizes assets
Government trying to divert attention from PNB scam: Congress on Rawat remark
Rahul targets PM for silence on PNB scam, Rafale deal
CBI arrests PNB’s General Manager rank officer in fraud case
The Nirav Modi Long Read: Music was his first love, then diamonds fell in his lap
PNB should reveal due diligence on ₹1,700 crore loan to Nirav Modi: AIBEA
Shiv Sena blasts BJP: ‘Make Nirav Modi RBI Governor to finish off country’
Cong trains guns at Modi govt; says ‘Bank Loot Scam’ totals ₹21,306 crore
Photos, papers show Modi govt not being truthful in Nirav Modi-PNB case
Finding NiMo: Bollywood takes dig at Nirav Modi, bank, politicians
Explosive tweet claims Nirav Modi had private meeting with PM at Davos
PMO got complaint against Nirav Modi in July 2016; PNB says it discovered fraud in Jan 2018
Follow us on: Facebook, Twitter, Google News, Instagram
Join our official telegram channel (@nationalherald) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- prime minister
- Narendra Modi
- Gujarat government
- Vijay Rupani
- Shaktisinh Gohil
- Devendra Fadnavis
- Anandiben Patel
- Maharashtra Chief Minister
- Anar Patel
- Amruta Fadnavis
- Nirav Modi
- Shaina NC
- Mehul Choksi
- Gitanjali group
- Vibrant Gujarat 2017
- Gitanjali Gems Limited
- Swarna Mangal Labh
- Swarna Mangal Kalash
- Jan Dhan Loot Yojna
- Bhavnagar Police
- Aparna Chudasama