‘This KBC is more like BJP’s mouthpiece’: social media reacts
The ninth edition of Kaun Banega Crorepati hosted by Amitabh Bachchan features questions based on BJP government’s policies, its leaders and Hindu mythology
The 9th edition of Amitabh Bachchan’s 17-year-old iconic show Kaun Banega Crorepati (KBC)—which returned on Sony entertainment on August 28, is being dubbed by many as an advertisement programme of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led NDA government and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Amitabh—who entered the small screen with KBC in 2000—can be seen asking questions in the new season of his quiz show which are based on the policies of Modi government, BJP leaders and Hindu mythology. Here’s a list of such questions that featured in first five episodes of the new edition—which is co-sponsored by Jio, Patanjali and Gujarat Tourism among others:
· Which of these Government schemes deals with the expansion of LPG connection to households below the poverty line?
· In July 2017, Narendra Modi Become the first Prime Minister to visit which country?
· The Chief Ministers of which two Indian states have the same first name?
· ‘One Tax for One Country’ is the tagline for which government initiative?
· Which image is drawn on the flip side of the new Rs 2,000 note issued by the government?
· Uzma Ahmed was forced to marry a man at gunpoint. With the help of our MEA minister, from which country did she return to India?
· Whose voice is this? [A] Jaya Prada [B] Hema Malini [C] Jaya Bachchan [D] Smriti Irani
· Which state was Ram Nath Kovind serving as Governor, just prior to his election as President of India?
· Which of the current or former Chief Minister’s name means ‘Earth’ in Sanskrit?
Nevertheless, among other questions that featured in the ninth edition included 'Odd-Even Scheme' in Delhi that was implemented by AAP government. Curiously, at least five questions are inspired by Hindu mythologies. Here’s a collection of such questions:
· Which of these gods is also known as Ramapati, Ramakant and Ramaraman?
· According to Hindu Mythology, Narada carries which musical instrument?
· According to the belief, who among the following is identified as "Chechak Ki Devi"?
· Starting with the earliest, arrange these festivals in the order of their celebration in the calendar year of 2017? A. Dussehra B. Makar Sankranti C. Janmashtmi D. Baisakhi
· According to the Ramayana, Lord Brahma created Ahilya for which rishi (saint) as a reward for his 'tapasya'?
In previous editions of the programme, Amitabh would bid adieu to the audience at the end of each episode with “shubhratri, shabba khair, goodnight!” in his trademark style. But in the ongoing season, some keen observers have pointed out that the mega star now wraps-up his good bye by pronouncing just “shubhratri” thrice.” They wonder if this is also significant.
In the current season, participants are also asked to identify the voice clips of actors, cricketers and political leaders. Incidentally, in the five episodes so far, some of the questions were also asked on 'The Kapil Sharma Show' broadcast on Sony Entertainment Television, Twitter, Facebook, yoga and Amitabh Bachchan’s movie Piku.
The quiz format of the gameshow almost remains the same with 15 questions that carry rewards from Rs 1000 to Rs 1 crore. After the 10th question, the 16th question gets unlocked, which is a jackpot for Rs 7 crore. But instead of the usual phone-a-friend, there is a provision for video call to a friend.
Published: 04 Sep 2017, 6:24 PM