Women’s braid chopped off in Gurgaon by a man carrying “trident”

In the last month or so, acts of women’s braids being chopped have been reported from Rajasthan. It is the first time that such an incident has allegedly taken place in NCR



Photo by Sourabh Vyas via Getty Images
Photo by Sourabh Vyas via Getty Images
user

NH Web Desk

A woman on Saturday approached police claiming that her braid was "mysteriously" chopped off, in a first such case being reported from the Millennium City.

Notably, several cases of braid chopping have been reported from various villages in Mewat region recently, and prior to that in parts of Rajasthan. In the last month or so, similar instances have allegedly happened in Nagor, Barmer, Jaisalmer and Jodhpur.

Sunita Devi, a resident of Ashok Vihar phase-III area, said that around 10 PM on Friday she was attacked by a strange-looking man, in his 60s, when she was alone in her house.

"While I was preparing dinner in the kitchen, I saw a thin man in a red and yellow outfit on the main entrance of my house. When I went to enquire, I saw he was carrying a trident. I told him to go away. He went away and disappeared ... when I closed the gate, he mysteriously reappeared," she said.

Sunita said before she could comprehend anything she fell unconscious.

"When I regained consciousness, I found myself lying on the floor and my braid was chopped off," she said, adding her house, however, was not ransacked.

Police said they have made a Daily Diary entry of the incident and launched a probe into the matter.

Gurgaon Police PRO Ravinder Kumar said the perpetrator was yet to be identified and the woman has not complained of any external wound.

He also confirmed that this was the first such case of braid chopping in Gurgaon.

The woman was in extreme trauma and still terrified.

She was admitted to a private hospital and discharged this evening, he said.

"The victim's husband has made a complaint at Sector 5 police station. We have made DD entry to mark it for investigating the matter as prima facie there is no such criminal part in it. We have enhanced the night patrolling in the area," Kumar said.

The officer said the matter was quite complicated and sensitive too.

"We are examining the CCTV footages of leading areas, streets and roads to get clue as no one, including the victims, has concrete evidence about such incidents which have been reported in Mewat region also in the last two weeks," he said.

(with PTI inputs)

Follow us on: Facebook, Twitter, Google News

Join our official telegram channel (@nationalherald) and stay updated with the latest headlines


Published: 30 Jul 2017, 12:39 PM