Watch: What is the exact cost of the Sardar Patel’s ‘Statue of Unity’?
Even as Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the statue of Vallabhbhai Patel, several tribal activists, who were arrested on October 30 in Narmada district, remained in custody
Police in Gujarat arrested several tribal activists in Narmada district on Tuesday, October 30, just a day before Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to inaugurate a statue of Vallabhbhai Patel. The PM is set to inaugurate the statute on Wednesday, October 31, in Gujarat’s Narmada district.
The activists were detained in Kevadia, Rajpipla and Dediapada talukas. The Statue of Unity, built at a cost of about ₹3,000 crore, and at height of 182 metres, will be the tallest in the world.
Here is the breakdown of the total cost:
- Statue of Unity is built on 3 km downstream of Sardar Sarovar dam, causing massive displacement. 35000 families are still waiting for full and fair rehabilitation.
- The world’ tallest statue is going to have major impacts on environment. It has been built on eco sensitive Shoolpaneshwar Sanctury. No Mandatory Environmental Impact Assessment was conducted. 200,000 trees have been chopped off to clear land for statue and six-lane highway
- The land in the district comes under the Fifth schedule. As per the constitution, Schedule V Land acquisition need gram sabha clearance. The Gujarat government has not taken permission of the gram sabha of respective villages
- On Monday, the headmen of 22 villages near the Sardar Sarovar Dam had written to Modi to tell him that villagers would not welcome him for the inauguration of the statue. Tribal leaders had announced a boycott of the function. They have said the construction of the statue has led to destruction of natural resources.
- Tribal activists had earlier said that people in 72 villages near the dam would protest by not cooking food, they are mourning October 31, 2018. Several farmers awaiting dues for their sugarcane have threatened to drown themselves when the statue is inaugurated, People tore down poster for the inauguration of the statue showing their protest. Advisasis had wrote letters in blood in protest of the statue.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will soon inaugurate the Statue of Unity in Gujarat’s Narmada district. It is being claimed that the 182-metre statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel is tallest in the world.
Located in Sadhu-Bet Island, Gujarat, the statue occupies over 20,000 square meters and is surrounded by a 12 square km artificial lake.
Published: 31 Oct 2018, 10:49 AM