418 people take their own life daily in 2020

The suicide rate in megacities of India was higher than all-India suicide rates in 2020

user

NH Web Desk

Suicide cases increased in India in 2020

The suicide rate in megacities of India was higher than all-India suicide rates in 2020

1.53 lakh suicide cases were reported in India in the year 2020

The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) in its annual report stated that 418 People Committed Suicide Daily In 2020.

The National Crime Records Bureau functions under the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and as per the latest Central government, data153,052 suicide cases were recorded last year.

The report showed, a total of 10,677 persons involved in the farming sector (consisting of 5,579 farmers or cultivators and 5,098 agricultural labourers) committed suicides during 2020, accounting for seven per cent of total suicide victims (1,53,052) in the country.

According to the National Crime Records Bureau, the suicide cases in 2020 were more in comparison to 2019, because that year around 139,123 suicides were recorded in India.

The National Crime Records Bureau in its data also stated the five states, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal and Karnataka together accounted for 50.1 percent of the total suicides reported in India, while the remaining 49.9 percent were reported from the remaining 23 states and eight Union Territories.

As per the data, the majority of suicides, 19,909 in total, were reported in Maharashtra followed by 16,883 in Tamil Nadu, 14,578 in Madhya Pradesh, 13,103 in West Bengal, and 12,259 in Karnataka accounting for 13 percent of the suicides respectively.

The report stated that family problems (33.6 percent), marriage-related problems (5 percent), and illness (18 percent) together accounted for 56.7 percent of total suicides in the country during 2020.

Notably, the suicide rate in cities was higher than compared to all-India suicide rates. The report showed that a total of 23,855 suicides were reported in the 53 megacities of India in 2020.

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), over 70,000 people take their own life every year and there are many more people, who attempt suicide across the globe.

Click here to join our official telegram channel (@nationalherald) and stay updated with the latest headlines