Lessons on Democratic Rights, Citizenship and Secularism dropped by CBSE
Key chapters like Democratic Rights, Food Security in India, Federalism, Citizenship and Secularism dropped from school courses in CBSE’s bid to reduce the burden on students amid pandemic
Key chapters like Democratic Rights, Food Security in India, Federalism, Citizenship and Secularism have been dropped from school courses in the national education board CBSE's bid to reduce the burden on students amid the coronavirus crisis.
1. Democratic rights,food security, citizenship and secularism dropped from school courses
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) announced that the syllabus for 2020-21 would be reduced by a third because of the "extraordinary situation" as the world fights the coronavirus pandemic.
2. Almost one-third course reduced by CBSE due to the extraordinary situation
The board has revised the Economics and Political Science courses for grades 9 to 12.
The chapters "completely deleted" from the Class 11 Political Science syllabus include Federalism, Citizenship, Nationalism, and Secularism.
3. Federalism, Citizenship,Nationalism and secularism completely omitted
Only two units from the 'Local Government' chapter have been deleted. These include 'Why do we need Local Governments?' and 'Growth of Local Government in India'.
4. Chapters on Need and growth of Local Government in India have been deleted
From the Class 12 Political Science syllabus, the board has entirely removed "Security in the Contemporary World", "Environment and Natural Resources", "Social and New Social Movements in India", and "Regional Aspirations".
5. Social and New Social Movements in India have been removed from class 12 Political Science
From the "Planned Development" chapter, units dealing with "changing nature of India's economic development" and "Planning Commission and Five Year Plans" have been removed.
6.Chapters on Planning Commission and Five Year Plans have been removed
"India's Relations with its Neighbours: Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Myanmar" has been deleted for the present session from the chapter on India's Foreign Policy.
7. Chapter on India's relations with its neighbours has also been deleted
Chapters on Democratic Rights and Structure of the Indian Constitution have been removed from the Class 9 Political Science syllabus.
8.Democratic Rights and Structure of the Indian Constitution have also been dropped from the course
A chapter on Food Security in India has been completely removed from the Economics syllabus.
9. A chapter on Food Security in India has been completely removed
For class 10 students, chapters on "Democracy and Diversity", "Caste, Religion and Gender", and "Challenges to Democracy" have been removed.
10. Students of class 10 will not get to study about Challenges to Democracy and Democracy and Diversity
Experts are of the opinion that the most important chapters have been deleted from the course by CBSE ,these chapters form the essence of Indian education
11. The most important chapters have been dropped : experts
Congress has criticised the selection of topics to be dropped and called it politically motivated
12. Congress has criticised the selection of topics calling it politically motivated