Who Is Anil Menon, the Indian-Origin Doctor Picked by NASA to be an Astronaut
Indian-origin physician Anil Menon is among the ten people chosen by NASA as astronauts for the organisation’s upcoming missions
Indian-origin physician Anil Menon is among the ten people chosen by NASA as astronauts for the organisation’s upcoming missions. He is also a lieutenant colonel with the US Air Force. In a press release, NASA announced that it has chosen 10 new candidates from a pool of more than 12,000 applicants to represent the US and work for humanity’s benefit in space.
Here are some interesting things to know about Anil Menon
• Anil was born to a Malayali father and Ukrainian mother in Minneapolis, US.
• He is a graduate in Neurobiology from Harvard University (1995).
• He visited India between 1999 and 2001 as a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar to study and support polio vaccination.
• According to his LinkedIn profile, Anil holds multiple degrees, licenses and certifications including medicine and engineering.
• He also holds degrees in Aerospace Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Public Health and Wilderness Medicine.
Meanwhile, the candidates will report for duty in January 2022 to begin two years of training. If Anil successfully completes the programme, he could be the first Malayali in space.