IAS officer Gangwar not ‘missing’, in UP over father’s health: Karnataka minister

Priyank Kharge says officer had sought a week’s leave and denied any link between his absence and ED searches at KPSC

Karnataka IAS officer Gyanendra Gangwar
i
user

NH Digital

Karnataka Home Minister Priyank Kharge on Saturday said IAS officer Gyanendra Kumar Gangwar, who had been reported “missing”, was in his native Uttar Pradesh due to an emergency involving his father’s health and had sought a week’s leave.

Kharge said Gangwar, currently Director of MSME in the Department of Industries and Commerce, had denied any connection between his absence and the Enforcement Directorate’s recent searches at the Karnataka Public Service Commission (KPSC).

“There was some miscommunication; it has nothing to do with ED searches,” Kharge told reporters.

The minister said Gangwar’s father is a heart patient and that fluctuations in his health had prompted the officer to leave Karnataka suddenly.

According to Kharge, Gangwar had submitted a handwritten leave note to the concerned officials, stating that he needed to travel to his native place for a week due to unavoidable circumstances.

As the leave application was submitted around a festival when government offices were not fully operational, it could not be processed immediately, the minister said.

Gangwar’s official phone was switched off while he was travelling, while he could not initially be reached on his personal phone either, Kharge said.

“We contacted him, and he told us that he had applied for leave and informed the government. Due to a family issue concerning his father's health, he could not communicate properly,” he said.

Kharge said Gangwar had told him that he would return within a couple of days and had requested a week’s leave.

No link to KPSC searches

Earlier reports had said Gangwar had been uncontactable since 20 August and had reportedly booked a flight to Delhi. Officials had initially said they were looking into his absence.

Kharge said there was no basis for linking the officer’s absence to the ED searches at the KPSC.

He added that Gangwar had said he was willing to face an inquiry by any agency if required.

“There are no allegations against him currently, and no one has filed an application seeking an inquiry against him,” Kharge said.

Gangwar is a 2016-batch IAS officer and had previously served as controller of examinations at the KPSC. He was replaced from that position in March this year.

The ED searched the KPSC premises on Tuesday as part of a money laundering investigation into an alleged recruitment examination scam involving veterinary officers. The agency also searched the premises of KPSC chairman Shivashankarappa S Sahukar, member Shanta Hosmani and others.

Govt recommends action against KPSC chairman

Kharge also said the Karnataka Cabinet had decided on Friday to recommend to Governor Thaawarchand Gehlot that Sahukar be suspended and an inquiry initiated against him.

Sahukar faces allegations of corruption and nepotism, including an allegation that his daughter was selected for a government job using a false income certificate.

The governor had suspended Sahukar on 13 July for allegedly failing to disclose important information and for “misbehaviour”. However, the Karnataka High Court ordered his reinstatement on 18 August, observing that the governor’s decision had not been taken with the aid and advice of the Cabinet.

Kharge said the Cabinet had decided to support the governor’s earlier suspension and recommend an inquiry.

“The entire episode surrounding recruitment at the KPSC and the large-scale corruption associated with it is being discussed among the public, and the future of youngsters has indeed been put at stake,” he said.

Join our official telegram channel (@nationalherald) and stay updated with the latest headlines