TN: Nilgiris tiger declared man-eater after two fatal attacks
Estate management has been asked to suspend work in areas where tiger movement is suspected

The Tamil Nadu Forest Department has intensified its operation to capture a male tiger suspected of killing two people in Lauriston, under O-Valley town panchayat near Gudalur, after declaring the animal a man-eater.
The tiger, estimated to be between eight and 10 years old, is suspected to have killed K. Ravikumar, whose body was found around 2 pm on Friday, nearly 200 metres from his home. Forest officials said evidence at the scene indicated that the tiger had consumed parts of the victim’s body.
The latest incident came days after the partially eaten remains of 58-year-old M. Balakrishnan of Field 4 in Lauriston Estate were found on 9 August.
Gudalur district forest officer P. Devaraj said the nature of the injuries and evidence that parts of the victims had been consumed prompted officials to classify the animal as a man-eater. Forest personnel also believe the same tiger was involved in both attacks, citing similarities between pugmarks recorded at the two locations.
The forest department has stepped up surveillance and trapping efforts, placing six cages with live bait along routes believed to be frequented by the tiger. Several of the cages have been positioned close to the locations of the attacks.
Four specialised teams are involved in the operation. Two seven-member teams are tracking the animal on the ground, closely examining pugmarks, scat and other signs of its movement. Two other teams are using drones to monitor the surrounding terrain and track the tiger from the air.
The ground teams have been equipped with firearms and protective gear. Officials said their primary objective is to tranquilise and capture the tiger. However, personnel have been authorised to shoot the animal if it charges and poses an immediate threat to human life.
Despite camera-trap images being obtained, forest officials have not been able to establish whether the tiger is injured, ill or otherwise physically compromised.
Devaraj said a reliable assessment of the animal’s health would be possible only after it is captured and examined by a veterinarian.
Once captured, authorities will decide whether the tiger should be shifted to the Arignar Anna Zoological Park in Vandalur or sent to the Wildlife Transit and Treatment Centre at Pethikuttai in Sirumugai for treatment. The decision will be taken after approval from Chief Wildlife Warden Rakesh Kumar Dogra.
As the search continues, estate management has been asked to suspend work for several more days in areas where tiger movement has been detected or suspected.
Forest officials are also urging residents to exercise extreme caution, remain indoors after dark and avoid entering plantations and forested areas until the animal is captured.
With two deaths reported in the same locality within a fortnight, officials are maintaining heightened surveillance across Lauriston and surrounding areas as the operation to locate and capture the tiger continues.
With IANS inputs
Join our official telegram channel (@nationalherald) and stay updated with the latest headlines
