
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi began a sit-in at the Parliament Street police station in New Delhi on Friday, demanding that an FIR be registered over pellet injuries allegedly suffered by a 19-year-old during the students protest on 20 July.
Rahul Gandhi was accompanied by the injured youth, Sahil Lochab, and his mother. Congress MP Priyanka Gandhi Vadra and other senior party leaders later joined the protest.
The leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha alleged that police officers had told him an FIR could not be lodged because there were “orders from the top”.
“We are only saying that an FIR must be lodged. Sahil is here and his mother is accompanying him,” Gandhi told reporters. “Till an FIR is registered, we will not budge from here.”
Rahul Gandhi and Lochab initially visited the Mandir Marg police station to seek registration of the complaint. After their demand was not accepted, they proceeded to the Parliament Street police station, which also houses the office of New Delhi district Deputy Commissioner of Police Sachin Sharma.
Rahul Gandhi met the DCP, but the discussions did not produce a resolution. He subsequently began the dharna inside the police station.
Police sources said the DCP was in contact with Gandhi and that Lochab’s complaint would be forwarded to the Delhi Police Crime Branch, which is investigating complaints related to the July protest.
A large contingent of Delhi Police and Rapid Action Force personnel was deployed in and around the police station following the start of the demonstration.
Lochab allegedly suffered pellet injuries to his eyes and abdomen during the protest at Jantar Mantar against the NEET paper leak and alleged irregularities in public examinations. He later underwent surgery at the AIIMS Trauma Centre.
Rahul Gandhi cited Lochab’s medical report to claim that three pellets had been found in one of his eyes. He said that although Delhi Police had denied using pellet guns, the presence of pellets in the youth’s body established that an offence had occurred and required investigation.
“Our only demand is an FIR and the name of the investigating officer. We are only seeking justice for this family,” Rahul Gandhi said.
Earlier, in a post on X, the Congress leader described the alleged use of a pellet gun against a peaceful protester as an illegal act and a “serious crime”. He accused Union Home Minister Amit Shah of avoiding accountability and asked why the government was “so scared of justice”.
Rahul Gandhi also criticised Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Shah for neither explaining the incident nor apologising to the students. He demanded a judicial inquiry and action against everyone found responsible.
According to the Congress, Lochab and his lawyers submitted a written complaint to Delhi Police on 14 August but were not given an acknowledgement or the name of an investigating officer. The matter was pursued again through email and telephone on 17 August, without a response, the party claimed.
Police sources said Lochab’s mother had approached several police stations since 13 August, but no FIR had been registered. The DCP had also not provided an FIR number or details of a case officer, they added.
The 20 July agitation, led by the Cockroach Janta Party, was organised over the NEET paper leak and alleged examination irregularities. The protests ultimately culminated in Dharmendra Pradhan’s resignation as Union education minister on 25 July.
With PTI inputs
Join our official telegram channel (@nationalherald) and stay updated with the latest headlines