
The Meghalaya government has constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to investigate the violence that erupted in Shillong on 19 August, identify those involved and prosecute them, as the Congress accused the state government of failing to prevent the situation from escalating and disrupting tourism and movement between Meghalaya and Assam.
The violence during a Khasi Students' Union (KSU)-sponsored black-flag motorcycle rally left 16 people injured, two vehicles set ablaze and around 31 vehicles damaged, officials said. Police have registered 15 FIRs in connection with the incidents.
The government said five masked men involved in the violence and random attacks on Assam-registered tourist vehicles had so far been identified. The SIT will identify other suspects, particularly those responsible for attacks on Assam-registered vehicles, and ensure their prosecution in accordance with law.
Three senior KSU leaders — president Raymond Kharjana, vice-president Pynkmenlang Sanmiet and general secretary Reuben Najiar — were arrested on the night of 19 August following the rally and subsequently sent to judicial custody.
The rally was held over several demands, including opposition to the cancellation of a public hearing for Shree Cement Ltd in Daistong village in East Jaintia Hills district. Incidents of stone-pelting, assaults, vandalism and arson were reported at different locations in Shillong during the rally.
The violence has strained relations between Meghalaya and neighbouring Assam, with movement between the two states disrupted amid protests and blockades at Jorabat.
More than 3,770 Assam-registered vehicles have so far been safely escorted out of Meghalaya, officials said.
The violence was followed by retaliatory blockades of the Assam-Meghalaya border by taxi drivers in Guwahati, while petrol bomb attacks were reported at several locations in Meghalaya on Friday.
A high-level meeting between officials from Assam and Meghalaya was held in Guwahati on Saturday to discuss the situation.
Meghalaya Pradesh Congress Committee president Vincent H Pala accused the state government of failing to anticipate and contain the escalation.
“The government cannot remain a spectator while violence escalates, tourists are stranded and ordinary people suffer. Its responsibility is to anticipate, prevent, protect and act, not simply issue statements after the damage is done,” Pala said.
He alleged that the government had failed to respond effectively to growing tensions, including along the inter-state border.
The Congress said the disruptions had affected tourists as well as hotels, homestays, taxi operators, restaurants, shops and families dependent on tourism.
“We condemn violence in the strongest terms, but democratic demands and peaceful protests must be addressed through dialogue. No government can afford to allow legitimate grievances to fester until they turn into confrontation,” Pala said.
The party also alleged that the government had intelligence and administrative inputs about developing tensions but failed to intervene in time.
Pala welcomed the high-level Assam-Meghalaya meeting but said such intervention should have come earlier.
“Sensitive inter-state matters require mature leadership, continuous dialogue and timely intervention. They should never be allowed to escalate because of administrative negligence or political calculations,” he said.
The Congress urged the state government to restore confidence, ensure the uninterrupted movement of tourists, medicines and essential commodities, provide security to travellers and tourist vehicles, and engage stakeholders to resolve the issues through dialogue.
The party also warned that continued unrest could damage Meghalaya’s tourism and investment prospects, saying confidence built over years could be undermined by a few incidents and an inadequate response.
Join our official telegram channel (@nationalherald) and stay updated with the latest headlines